Wednesday, April 17, 2013

The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker

This book blew my mind!
It was one of those books that, as I read and especially after I finished it, I was desperate for someone to talk to about it.  The concept behind the book was so fascinating to me...
This would be considered an "end of the world" book, but the world doesn't end with any of the popular methods: atomic bomb, natural disaster, aliens, etc.  Instead, the world simply starts to slow in its rotation.  The slowing, as it is called, is gradual at first.  People start to notice extra minutes in the day.  But the slowing progresses bit by bit until there are 24 hours of daylight and then 24 hours of darkness.
See?!  Aren't you already curious?  Could this happen?  What would it hurt?  How would we live?
These questions are all explored in the novel.  The slowing affects so much more than I ever could have expected.  Even society is split in half by those who choose to live by "clock time" and those who choose to live in "real time."
Throughout it all, the story is told from the eyes of a young teenage girl trying to get through the terrors of middle school.  I think this choice of narrator helps to lighten what could be a very dark novel.  While the world is trying to figure out how to live with this phenomenon, our narrator is also trying to figure out how to capture the attention of her first crush.  I loved that, because I think any middle schooler would be the same way - interested in the horrors around them but still engrossed in their own lives as well.
It really is a book that I, at least, found fascinating.  I am forever impressed by (and envious of!) novelists who come up with this new, interesting plot concepts and this one definitely blew me away.

If you read it, let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment