Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Unbearable Lightness by Portia de Rossi

For some reason, I am slightly obsessed with the relationship of Ellen deGeneres and Portia de Rossi.  Every time you see them together, they just seem so happy!  I especially love Ellen.  Last year, every day after school, I'd go to my parents' house to pick up Emerson and would end up sitting on their couch watching Ellen with them.  With every show, you are guaranteed a laugh, but you are also likely to cry from the personal stories that Ellen features.  Ellen's show is perfect:  she focuses on positive stories and concludes her show every time with "be kind to one another."  That is why I read her memoir, Seriously...I'm Kidding (hilarious, fun read!).

While watching Ellen, I saw her promoting her wife's book Unbearable Lightness, and I decided to give it a try.

This book is a memoir about Portia's struggles with eating disorders as she entered the Hollywood spotlight.  With excruciating details and frankness, she describes her extreme dieting, her obsession with food, and her struggles with being famous.  It provides an interesting insight into the lives of celebrities.  It is very sad -- at one point, Portia reaches a weight of 89 lbs.

The book is very different from anything Ellen would write, but I enjoyed it very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment