Monday, June 11, 2012

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Although it is cliche to "never judge a book by its cover," let's be honest - most of us judge a book by its cover.  And that is how I discovered this book.  I was flipping through my Kindle recommendations, desperate for a new book to read, when this cover grabbed my attention:


As it turns out, the book was almost as mysterious and interesting as the cover (and I mean that as a compliment).  There were times the book felt a little predictable and juvenile, but something kept me turning the pages.  Throughout the book are photographs which, according to the author's  note at the back, are real photographs on which he based the book.  They are mostly portraits of "peculiar children": One is a small girl looking into a pool and she has two reflections.  Another is a boy elevating.  Another is a girl who looks stuck in a bottle.  These portraits are the possession of the main character's grandfather, which he claims were his friends.  When the grandfather passes away, the main character goes in search of these children.

There are some unbelievable pieces to the plot, but it is, overall, an interesting story enhanced by beautiful photographs.  It is unusual and of course requires you to stretch your imagination a little.  It was a nice break for me because I usually read very dark stories.  Overall, I enjoyed it and read it quickly.  A good summer read.

No comments:

Post a Comment