Monday, June 11, 2012

Other Books About School Shootings

Since I have already discussed my morbid obsession with books about school shootings, I thought I'd share two of my favorites...because, you know, it's summer time and everyone is looking for some light reading, right? One of my all time favorites - a book I wish all teachers and high school students were required to read - is Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult. Similar to We Need To Talk About Kevin, this book focuses more on the background of the shooter's life than it does the shooting itself. There is a huge difference between the books, though. In this book, the main character is bullied and misunderstood his entire life. It has been years since I read it, so I can't give details, but it is a great read. Picoult is a talented writer. Her books usually involve a legal battle and some twists, including this one. It is sad, but powerful. The other book is actually nonfiction: Columbine by Dave Cullen. Cullen wrote this book based on countless interviews, police reports, the boys' own tapes, etc. It is over 350 pages, but a book so enthralling you won't want it to end when it does. It addresses a misconception about the famous story of the "girl who said 'yes,'" it explains the controversy behind the way the police handled the shooting, and it provides a chilling and detailed description of the killers. I don't normally read nonfiction but this is one I highly recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment