Thursday, June 14, 2012

The Unit by Ninni Holmqvist

This is one of those books that is the reason for this blog - as I read it, I was dying to talk to someone about it, but didn't know of a single other person who had read it (and, unfortunately, after reading this post, I'm pretty sure I still won't find someone).

This is also one of those books similar to The Leftover by Perrotta that grabbed my attention because of the concept.  Check it out:

The Unit is a futuristic book, sadly, in my opinion, not all unrealistic.  In this time, once someone turns a certain age (I think 50, but I can't exactly remember), if they have no dependents (no spouse or children), they are required to move into the "unit."  From that point forward, their purpose in life is to help others - those with dependents - live.  They are used to test new medications.  They are required to give their organs to someone on the outside who needs it.  They do this until they die.  While they wait, they are given a great life.  The unit includes restaurants, a movie theater, a beautiful walking area, etc.  Although they can never leave the unit, it is not like they are in prison.  However, they know their purpose there and, although they make friends and even lovers, they lose them quickly.

Awesome idea for a book, right?  And what a concept to discuss!

Unfortunately, for me, the book did not live up to the idea.  (A for effort, F for execution, as my husband frequently says).  I'd say the first half of the book is great.  After that, the idea wears off.  I got bored.  I actually didn't finish it, which is rare for me.  I got, according to Kindle, 74% through it and just quit.

But if you decide to read it, even part of it, or if you just want to discuss that idea, comment below.  This is definitely one worth discussing.

No comments:

Post a Comment