Saturday, June 16, 2012

Room by Emma Donoghue

Wow, this book....
When I first started reading this book, I actually didn't like it.  It is narrated by a little boy, and that annoyed me.  But as the story progressed, I got sucked in.  This is one of those books that I got so emotionally into, Jesse had to ask me to put it down for a little while.  I would be lying on the couch reading, and would suddenly sit up, looking completely stressed, and proclaim to my Kindle, "No, you can't do that!"  It gets pretty intense.

It is about a woman and her son who are being held captive in a room.  The boy's entire life has been lived in this room.  As a result, he personifies everything, calling it Table and Bed, describing the objects like people.  It is understandable, considering his situation, but that - and his ignorance to his situation - is what annoyed me at first.  Eventually, though, I got used to it and could focus more on the story.

The way the young woman and the boy end up in this room is frightening.  Honestly, with the recent terrible news of the Russell County woman who was murdered while running with her sister, some people may even want to avoid this, for now.  (You can use your context clues there to figure out a little of the story)  But it is a good book, and one worth the time to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment