Monday, June 11, 2012

We Need to Talk About Kevin

My husband and I used to love going to bookstores together.  Our perfect dates were a good dinner followed by quiet time in a bookstore.  (I say "used to" and "were" because, since having a baby, dating is rare... but that's for another blog).  While on these dates, we rarely bought books, but spent time roaming the aisles and reading blurbs on books of interest.

On one particular date, I was drawn to a book called We Need To Talk About Kevin.  I have a strange obsession with books about school shootings, and this particular book had a unique twist: it was from the perspective of the parent of a child who kills his teammates at school.  I was immediately drawn in from the first chapter which described the mother scraping red paint off of her front porch - an act of vandalism from the local community members still angry with her because of her son.  After reading a few pages, it was time go to, so I put the book down and left.

But the book stayed with me.  Months later, I returned to a bookstore and hunted down the book, although I didn't know the author's name and couldn't exactly remember the title.  I finally read it.  In fairness, that was years ago, but I just came across the movie (which stays incredibly accurate to the book from what I can recall) and, just like the book, it has stayed with me.

As I stated, the book focuses on the mom of the child who commits these awful murders.  The book isn't about the violence, though.  It is more about the child's background.  It follows him, through snippets of memories, from birth until that particular moment, and after.  It is not told in chronological order, but rather follows the mind of the mother as she tries to continue living her daily life while overwhelmed with these memories.

Kevin, the child, was evil from birth.  No exaggeration.  As I watched the movie, and when I read the book, I found myself cussing this child.  With no remorse.  He is simply that much of a villain.  He is cold-hearted in a way that you hope no child has the ability to be, and without reason.  Even worse, he turns it off and on whenever he wants, so he completely charms his father.

The movie is shot just like the book is told, in and out of the present and past times, brief memory after memory interrupted by the mother's daily life.  It is beautifully shot and focuses even less on the violence than the book (it barely shows the scene at the school).  It is not technically a "school shooting" as Kevin kills his classmates with a bow and arrow... yet another unique twist to what could be an overdone subject.

The book and the movie are haunting.  I felt myself struggling to remember my life is peaceful and my child is happy and that Kevin isn't someone I actually know.

I recommend the book if you're willing to get lost in a book that will stir your emotions.  Watch the movie too.  Then comment on here because I haven't found a single other person who has read the book!


No comments:

Post a Comment